View My Stats

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

2007: A Bittersweet Year

2007: A Bittersweet Year
Bittersweet refers to a combination of the standard tastes of sweetness and bitterness, and is often used as a metaphor for experiences which have elements of both happiness and sadness. So here are my top 10 events that made up my 2007.


1. USA:The American Dream
Who would have thought I’d be able to go to the US? This wasn’t even in my plans this year. Just a spur of the moment decision to try & see where it leads me. Already made a previous post in this blog about all the things that happened to me during that whirlwind trip. Definitely one the defining moments of my 2007.

2. Work: Internal Conflicts, New Post. Probably the reason why I just wanted to get away from it all. But I realize that work really gets to me, I cried so much, & so many times this year because of work as compared to just silently enduring problems in my personal life.

3. Toastmasters adds Life! Accomplished many roles: as Secretariat Head for May Cebu Discon, Contest Chairperson for Div C & I contest, one of the judges to Gullas Intercollegiate Oratorical Contest of diff. Cebu schools. And being Division C Governor of course. It’s a different side to Toastmasters, taking on leadership roles. Also had outside speaking engagements: 2 at CIT,1 with SWU MBA for Bonna.

4. My Marriage. Chafing at the reins – a previous post in my blog says it all about my marriage this year & being verbally harassed & being on tip toe all the time. His parinigs. Brought him with me to most Toastmasters meetings in different clubs this year. His violent quarrels with Garleth & Flor & both maids leaving this year. Drowned my sorrows in staying at home with VCD movies/tv series marathons. Even resorted to taking my allergy meds so I’d be able to sleep & escape his harassment. He did go to Manila of course, although what this means for my marriage will be revealed in 2008 I guess.

5. USJR Doctorate. It was an experience being in a different part of Cebu – Carbon & downtown area & walking around, window-shopping. The classes were way too easy though. No challenge. But did get to know some of my classmates but did not bond as much as my SWU MBA classmates.

6. My Son: Prime: a new school for my son, & taking on Risperdal again due to his cheek-hitting episodes. Visited the doctor several times for the kids: dentist visits with both my kids losing their front teeth this year.

7. Club Ultima Lifestyle.This was a mutual decision of us as a couple, for the family, esp. for my son. Weekends swimming with the kids. Even had my pizza birthday videoke party here. It’s a different kind of luxurious lifestyle that I could very much get used to.

8. A Family reunion. Having the family together for the first time in so many years. Went home from the States with Mom, Dad, Ate Cherry & Jaime, while Ate Ethel went here a weekearlier & had time to clean the house. We also stayed over at the Hilton. Having the family together was really, really wonderful.

9. Social: New friends, old friends, friends I’ve managed to keep in touch with. Celes & Danny’s Sinulog visit- Riding the Mactan Channel ferry for the very first time. Had the annual Sinulog outing at Welda’s place with Aboitiz friends. Doulous floating ship outing with MBA classmates. Chris bday’s bash at Gerry’s & being with Aboitiz friends. An old friend from the past!- Jingle getting in touch once again. And Toastmasters friends of course.

10. Going back to church. I’ve been going almost regularly to Church every Sunday this year, which I haven’t been doing for the longest time. Its what’s made my life bearable this year also. I have made my peace with God.

2007 was a bittersweet year for me, full of ups and downs, but still memorable nevertheless.

No comments: