View My Stats

Monday, June 18, 2007

Piracy


Piracy. I know its a crime.
Like I know I wouldn't steal a cellphone. I wouldn't steal a car.
But let's face it. Pirated CDs are so cheap as compared to the original items.
And I figure, in a third world country such as the Philippines,
buying these pirated CDs wouldn't matter, coz so few can ill afford to buy a P300-500 worth CD.

This year has been the year that I've discovered the lure of pirated CDs.
What with my self-imposed exile, a lot of my time has been spent at home
watching these CDs. Am especially partial to CDs of television series,
& weekend marathons (16 or more hours) watching these shows,
is my current addiction.

Here are the television shows in CD version, that I've watched this year:
* Prison Break (Season 1 & 2) = Lincoln Burrows is on death row for the murder of the vice president's brother. He insists he's innocent and only his brother Michael Scofield believes him. As an engineer who helped design the prison where Lincoln is being held, Michael takes drastic measures to help his brother. He gets himself arrested and sent to the same prison so that with his knowledge of the building the two of them can escape together. However, while inside, Michael discovers a massive conspiracy that is determined to see Lincoln's sentence carried out. Breaking out will be more difficult than he thought, but he's still going to try. (Note: I like this series because, hell, I can so relate with the characters, that feeling of being imprisoned & wanting to break free).

* Heroes = the story of several people who "thought they were like everyone else... until they woke with incredible abilities" such as telepathy, time travel and flight. These people soon realize they have a role in preventing a catastrophe and saving mankind. The series follows the writing style of American comics with short, multi-episode story arcs story that build upon a larger, more encompassing arc. (Note: Always been fascinated with superheroes, from watching Superfriends & the Hall of Justice, back in my childhood days. If I had a superpower abilities, well, I'd love to have the ability to teleport - coz I hate commuting!, but on a deeper level, I'd love the power to bring out the good in people, sort of a more active power than that dwarf character in Xmen who had the power to strip Xmen of their powers when he's in the vicinity)


* Invasion = When a small town at the edge of the Florida Everglades is threatened by a raging hurricane, U.S. Park Ranger Russell Varon must go to great lengths to protect the small community and his family safe. During the storm his young daughter claims to have seen mysterious lights, seemingly unaffected by the gale-force winds, floating near the water. Varon dismisses the sighting, but begins to wonder if there really was some truth to the story after his missing ex-wife turns up naked and her memory of the storm is completely gone.While the community begins to clean up after the storm and piece their lives back together, Varon begins to investigate the strange happenings as he tries to make sense of what is happening. (Note: I'm fascinated with aliens also, I started watching this on TV's Crime & Suspense channel & was so happy that there was a CD available)



* Jericho = After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality. (Note: I love end of the world scenarios, or disaster movies/genre. There's something about contemplating the end of the world, that puts all things in perspective)

* Lost (Seasons 1-3) = follows the lives of Oceanic flight 815 survivors on a tropical island, somewhere in the South Pacific. (Note: Always toyed with the idea, what if I'm shipwrecked on an island, well I wouldn't mind if I'm in the company of these guys: Jack, Sawyer, Sayid,Charlie....The mystery of this island gets me hooked though, like where is it that these people are really?)

* Grey's Anatomy (Season 3) = A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors. (Note: I just love the dialogue! Plus, my first dream was always to become a doctor...)

* Commander-In-Chief: (Note:Technically, this shouldn't be in my list, because I'm just watching this on TV. But the story is so good, & this for me is the best of all I've mentioned above. I actually saw a CD of this in the mall, & this was before I saw the first TV episode, I had thought of buying it but was low on funds that day. When I went back to buy it, it was gone. So bad! So I actually sacrific & stay up till 11:30 pm Wed nights just to watch this on TV.Imagine!)Mackenzie Allen (Academy Award®-winner Geena Davis), the 45-year-old Independent Vice President of the United States, is about to venture into territory no woman has entered before. While at an official ceremony with husband and Chief of Staff Rod Allen (Kyle Secor), she is informed by the President's Chief of Staff, Jim Gardner (Harry Lennix), and the Attorney General that President Bridges is about to undergo emergency brain surgery for a tumor.MacKenzie Allen becomes the first woman American president after she ascends to the job following the death of president Teddy Bridges.

Well, the bummer about watching television series on pirated CDs is that they run out of episodes, & you have to wait for the next season. But then, I guess its a good thing really, coz you can't just go on and on and on....

No comments: