View My Stats

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How Old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

A friend of mine posted that intriguing question in her blog last year. Which got me to thinking...well, for me...I'd be seventeen. Yup, I seem to be perpetually stuck to that age (mentally that is! I wish I could say looks-wise too).


Which probably explains why I spent the holidays poring over teen-age stuff. Imagine, I spent one weekend speed-reading the 4 Twilight books: from Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and finally Breaking Dawn. I just got so hooked to the books: the story, the romance of it, the characters, etc.

And of course, after reading the book, I had to look for a DVD of the Twilight movie. I didn't like the movie as well as I liked the book, but then that's what usually happens. At least they got an actor for Edward who really looked as handsome as he was described in the book. This reminds me of a funny experience I had in 2008, when I was being interviewed(& taped!) for a DJ post for Y.101FM. (Haha, I was really bored at the time, & was just trying this out on a whim!) I was asked: "You are all alone in a building. Which would you rather be attacked by: a werewolf or a vampire?".

My answer: "That's easy. I would prefer to be attacked by a vampire. I really don't see myself being eaten & torn into pieces. I would much rather be bit & sucked dry! And turn into a vamp!"



I also spent the holidays, relaxing to the max & watching DVDs. I watched the whole Season 1 of the television series: "Gossip Girl". To be that young once again! I found it quite amusing following the antics & foibles of this group of elite, Manhattan teen-agers. As hilarious as there problems were (lovelife, schoolwork & family), there were actually real life lessons I picked up from the story.


Which brings me back to why I love "being" seventeen. There's something to this age that strikes me to the very core of my being: to be that innocent, & optimistic & on the brink of starting one's life once again. There's even a magazine named for this age! In my case, I fell in love for the first time, at seventeen. Albeit, it was a love unrequited. As the song goes: (sings)
"I learned the truth at seventeen that love was meant for beauty queens... and those of us with ravaged faces (not really that much!) lacking in the social graces, desperately remained at home, inventing lovers on the phone, who called to say -- come dance with me... it isn't all it seems, at seventeen. " Oh well...


I found it ironic that in Twilight, this age is also highlighted, as being special:
Isabella Swan: How old are you?
Edward Cullen: Seventeen.
Isabella Swan: How long have you been seventeen?
Edward Cullen: A while.

Oh, to be seventeen for a little while longer....

No comments: