View My Stats

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ramdam mo na ang Pasko?

I asked that of a dear friend when we met recently. His answer saddened me in that he said Christmas is for the kids..and that the older he gets he feels that Christmas is just another holiday that one gets used to.

I believe one has to decide, not just in Christmas, but in all things for that matter, to find the joy in
anything. I guess I asked that question because I was in a way asking myself if I already feel the Christmas spirit.


And it got me thinking that I feel the joy of Christmas the most when I start buying gifts for friends, family and other people in my life. Christmas for me is shopping! Well, that's easy, I'm a woman after all. It happens every year...our senses are bombarded with the sights and sounds of Christmas everywhere we go. Again, we are confronted with the challenge of finding that perfect gift. For me, its the thrill of finding, for that special person on my list something totally different, something totally unique. Oh yes, & it does start first with making my Christmas list: of people I will give gifts to, of people who I need to give that something to thank for their gift of friendship. So who has been nice to me? And who has been naughty? Its not only Santa who gets to drop people from his list. Although for me, its a matter of budget I guess, & so priority goes to family & close friends, then people in the office, & other people I want to give gifts to.

Then comes the shopping! And with so many bazaars & Xmas sales & tiangges nowadays, one can always find something to buy for a certain amount. I love crossing things from my list, seeing that I've already bought a gift for that person, & so on. I never get tired of elbowing my way through the crowd, of looking at what things are in store in the next booth, and carrying so many parcels and shopping bags after a day spent Christmas shopping!

Wrapping the gifts is another dramatic affair, a tradition. With Christmas carols playing in the background of course. Hands busy with tinsel, and ribbons & bows & cards & boxes and colorful Christmas wrappers, plus a sprig of holly or a garland of mistletoe to give that gift that extra Christmassy touch. And seeing all those gifts pile up under the tree! A Christmas tree is not a Christmas tree after all, without gifts haphazardly piled, one of top of the other.

Then comes the giving of gifts. I love handing out gifts to my friends, with a special note of thanks for the year that was, & the year that will be. With kisses and hugs of course! And much, much love. This is when I feel the spirit of Christmas the most. And I guess its because, if you really look closely at it, we give gifts to mirror the love that was there, in that first Christmas gift. For the Father who loved us so much that he gave us his son. As a Christian, I believe in the joy and the wonder and the magic of Christmas. And that it truly is a cause for celebration. Its not the material things that matter after all, for a gift would not be a gift without the love and the care that goes in the choosing, and in the giving.

And so, ho, ho, ho.. I'm off to do my Christmas shopping!

No comments: