View My Stats

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

101 Stories

I'm reviewing all the stories in my life, in preparation for the Triathlon Impromptu Contest.
So here's to writing different stories/mini-speeches for each life theme:

SORROW/HARDSHIPS (well this was my failed Impromptu speech: I did not place, but Division C Impromptu gurus did approach me afterwards saying I was their no.1 & they did not understand why I did not place)
I CAN''T SLEEP ! Ladies & gentlemen, fellow Toastmasters & friends, for the past month & a half, I have not had the luxury of having a good night's rest. & I wish I could tell you that it was because I had a handsome, well-muscled man in my bed at night keeping me awake. Well, the culprit in question is indeed male, he's 8 years old, he's my son & he's afflicted with autism. Autism is a neurological condition that impacts social interaction & communication skills. It is a growing worldwide epidemic that affects 1 out of 150 children. I have long questioned why this burden was placed on me, but I have accepted this. For after all, this is my son. Its been difficult yes, but my son has also taught me so much. He has taught me to cherish life & live it to the fullest, to explore all my talents, join speech contests such as these. For in life, its not what happens to you that determines how far you will go, but what you do with what happens to you.

HAPPINESS/JOY/EXCELLENCE:
"So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing" --- I have always loved to sing. Many of my friends, especially in Toastmasters, know that. I even joined the Triathlon just so I could be granted the opportunity to sing before an audience. Many of my happiest moments were spent onstage: singing in musicals, acting on stage & joining(&winning!) in singing contests. What I love most about singing however is that it summarizes my general approach & philosophy to everything life throws my way. I believe I can handle anything as long as I have a song in my heart & a tune in my lips.
The famous management guru, Jack Welch, was once asked in one of his seminars: "If he had to choose between an employee who was the most competent in his staff, but who had difficulty getting along with others; & one other employee who was unskilled but who was a positive, enthusiastic person who would he choose? Jack Welch said: In a heartbeat, I would choose the last employee, because he has the passion & heart of a learner. Fellow Toastmasters, passion/joy is what separates the best from the average. So be passionate & enthusiastic about your life. After all, even with all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a very beautiful world. Contest Host...

EXCELLENCE/WORK:
" Heigh ho, heigh ho, its off to work I go"-- Ladies & gentlemen, fellow Toastmasters & friends, do you sing when you are on your way to work? Well, you should try it sometime. Me, I have always loved to sing -- & yes, I do sing when I'm on my way to work.

No comments: